Friday, December 24, 2010

What I'm Working On

After making far too many produce bags, I asked my friends Beth and Andi to show me how to do the single crochet (which my mom couldn't help me with) so that I could make a jar cozy. I recognize that such an object seems mostly for frills, and maybe it is...but to be fair, I've started using jars in lieu of travel mugs and not burning my hands would be convenient.

So begins the awkwardness that is trying to explain what I'm working on, when what I'm working on seems ridiculous. The jar cozy is a little bit easier for people to wrap their heads around than the...fingerless glove? See, the problem is, I'm not even sure what to call it, but the fact that I'm sort of just making it up is helpful when people express that they wish that they too could make whatever-sort-of-thing. "Oh, you totally could do that, because I just sort of made it up, so if you found some sort of directions you're probably better off that I am straight away."

This past weekend I took a trip to central PA to visit some friends, and before I left, I began embroidering presents for a few of them. Unfortunately, I didn't really have enough time, so I found myself embroidering while I was there. This in itself was fine, but I didn't really want them to see what I was working on until it was nearer to finished, seeing as it was for them and all. It was a different experience than my usual show and tell, but I did indeed finish everything and was able to give it before I left.

I'm not sure what it is, but there is something that for me is far more satisfying in embroidery than with knitting or crocheting. The process is somehow more enjoyable, and I think I even like talking about it more. I'll have to consider this further.

I've also picked up a sizable project I had wanted to do a few years ago, but that really deserves its own post. If you've seen me recently, and you've seen me EMBROIDERING recently, you might have an idea of what I mean by this.

*ALSO, I was subbing the other day and I had to read some first graders a book about Kwanzaa. Apparently all the gifts associated with this holiday have to be either handmade or educational. I love this, of course. Maybe I'll start celebrating Kwanzaa.... after all, they say we all came from Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment